




Today we woke up overlooking Lake McDonald. We open the door to our room and there it is. It seemed to be a nice day compared to the day before. I, of course, had pancakes for breakfast with Huckleberry syrup. The night before we had our huckleberry ice-cream cones. Then we started up to Highway to the Sun. (This is a fifty mile drive the takes you up high to most of the beauties of the park.
As we started driving it started getting cloudier and cloudier. We were told there was a lot of road construction, but we didn't mind as there was not a lot of traffic and we just enjoyed the scenery as we stopped and took lots of pictures. As the day progressed, it turned into a beautiful sunny day. Patty went crazy with the camera and took lots of pictures. It was a gorgeous day. We had been told that the park did not open until about six weeks later than normal. It had not opened until July 14th because of all of the snow. When we got to the summit of Logan Pass there was a lot of snow still there.
Instead of driving back down the Highway to the Sun again we drove around other places in the park that we had not seen before. We made the whole loop and even went into East Glacier which is traveled much less frequently.
At the end of our drive we went to the restaurant in West Glacier near where we were staying and had trout and huckleberry clobber which I love. We then waded in the lake in front of our room.
When we left to come home the next morning it was a cool 46 degrees. I figured we would have a 50 degree change in the temperature before we got home. We were on the road for about eleven hours. When we drove into South Jordan the temperature was 100 degrees. So that was a 54 degree difference. So now I know why I like going up North to vacation. We were tired after our trip, but had a lot of great memories to bring home.
Oh! Thanks for sharing pictures of Highway to the Sun!!! Last couple times I went through there I was sleeping because it makes me so stinking car sick that I have to just curl up under a blanket and sleep so I miss all the beauty. And I'm so so so jealous of the huckleberry syrup and ice cream! Love love love huckleberries!
ReplyDelete